Subject: Re: Feb. 29 kernel
To: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
From: Jonathan O'Brien <obrien@phoenix.sfsu.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 03/02/1996 15:52:11
On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Iain Hibbert wrote:

> On Sat, 2 Mar 1996, Jonathan O'Brien wrote:
>
> > The other interesting new event is I now have a disappearing
> > file problem. On sd1, whenever I add or remove files, all the other
> > files in that directory disappear. If I unmount the drive, fsck, and
> > remount, no errors are reported by fsck, and the files are back. This
> > does not seem to happen on sd0. I know this drive works fine, or at
> > least I think I know. In 1.1 I moved around a large amount of data on
> > the drive without failures on a nightly basis.
>
> dingdingdingdingding!
>
> I get this, you don't even have to fsck to get the files back - just
> umount/mount will do it.  I'm not too sure, but I think there were some
> occaisions where the files would come back of their own accord without
> the umount/mount being done.
>
> have you tried a full boot, or are you still in single-user?

I'm multiuser when all this is going on.

There are three things on my system that are slightly different from
the norm:

1. I'm getting the sync negotiation failures.
2. I've got fairly large directories on that drive. In excess of 100k.
3. The bus has SCSI1 and SCSI2 devices on it.

It is a 4.4 ffs. Anyone have any ideas on how I should approach debugging
this one?

> actually, I'm glad somebody else has the same problem as me, even though its
> not good for you :) - I was getting worried that my hardware (SS1 clone) was
> broken.  I don't know what to do to fix it though.
>
> ]ain

BTW, I don't have the kernel striping problem der Mouse has.

ld -N -p -Ttext F8004000 -e start -X -o netbsd ${SYSTEM_OBJ} vers.o
text    data    bss     dec     hex
1171424 117424  83312   1372160 14f000
cp netbsd netbsd.gdb
strip -d netbsd
archytas# ls -l netbsd*
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   1447471 Mar  2 15:52 netbsd
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  11376065 Mar  2 15:52 netbsd.gdb
archytas#

Jon