Subject: Re: SunOS compatibility question
To: Stoned Elipot <dej@achilles.net (David Jones), Stoned.Elipot@univ-evry.fr>
From: Don Lewis <gdonl@gv.ssi1.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/29/1996 19:22:36
On Feb 29,  7:51pm, David Jones wrote:
} > Hi all,
} > well I'd tried to use a static library targeted for SunOS system under
} > NetBSD1.1/Sparc. And it appears that I can't use it: some .o files in
} > this pecular lib use the syscall vhangup() and some other use the
} > array _iob[]. I can get around vhangup() by linking with a vhangup
} > 'emulation' (well I think) but the _iob[] stuff is much more
} > problematic.
}
} NetBSD stdio and SunOS stdio are different.  You are out of luck.
} _iob[] is where objects of type FILE are stored.  The structure of a
} FILE should not be available to the application.  This abstraction is
} respected by most software out there.

Which means that you can't link object files compiled under SunOS into
a NetBSD binary if they use the macros defined in <stdio.h>, since these
access the internals of the FILE structure directly.

			---  Truck