Subject: Re: sd3: not queued (using ccd) Do I have problems?
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/28/1996 10:27:26
On Wed, 28 Feb 1996 13:13:33 -0500
 der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> wrote:

 > How?  ccd AFAICT has no way to not begin at the beginning of its
 > component partition, and - at least for those of us stuck with vendor
 > boot ROMs on Suns (and this _is_ port-sparc) - partitions must begin on
 > cylinder boundaries.

You are only stuck with that limitation on your boot disk.  And, I'm
pretty sure I've partition disks with SunOS format(8) such that
partitions don't fall on cylinder boundaries before ... I could be wrong,
but...

In any case, you could certainly write a NetBSD disklabel to the
component disk, if you wish.  While port-sparc (and port-sun3) doesn't
currently have an easy method of doing so (which is a bug, BTW), it can
certainly read them (last time I looked at the code, anyhow).

 > I suppose I should stop grumbling and patch ccd to do what I want, that
 > is, to skip the first few sectors, either (a) if ccdconfig is told to,
 > (b) if the component partition offset is zero, or (c) always....

The problem is that you've now made that offset machine dependent.
"Ick".  I.e. you should really only skip LABELSECTOR + (sizeof(struct
disklabel) rounded to sector size) sectors, but LABELSECTOR and
(sizeof(struct disklabel)) are machine-dependent quantities.