Subject: Re: VME Ethernet with NetBSD/sparc 1.1
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/1996 20:36:20
>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org> writes:

Mike> At 12:45 AM 2/24/96 -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
>> This is correct...I've used VME framebuffers with 4/100 cpus but
>> that's about it...I believe the VME implementation can't handle
>> bus-mastering or something like that.

Mike>         I guess I'll have to file a correction to the Sun
Mike> Hardware FAQ because it claims that the 501-1153 VME Ethernet
Mike> board will work on the 4/110.  (This is my only info source on
Mike> Sun hardware, so I trusted it...)

	I may be out of sync, too --- but don't be to quick to dismiss
this.  Someone mentioned that the VME ethernet board had it's own
memory and was a memory mapped ... not bus mastering device.  When I
had that board in my possession, I did note a grid of DRAM on it.
Probably about 512K to 1M of it.

	So... the ethernet board would be more like a framebuffer than
a SCSI controller.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca         |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |