Subject: 4/330 with amnesia
To: NetBSD Sparc <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/1996 21:06:37
This is only slightly connected with NetBSD, but I am not sure who else
to ask.

I have a sun 4/330 running netbsd just fine. However, there seems to be
something wrong with the eeprom memory. After each power-cycle the
machine forgets everything entered through the eeprom(8) command, and the
eeprom checksum is wrong, forcing me to boot in diagnostics mode over a
serial channel every time.

This sounds like the common "too old battery" problem that sun3 and sun4
suffers from. THe peculiar thing is that it remembers its ethernet
address. Is the ethernet address not stored in the eeprom in the 4/330 as
it is in other sun4:s?

Lastly, can I replace the eeprom with a working one from a SS1 or a
sun3/80 after reprogramming them to contain the same code? We have
several SS1:s and 3/80:s which are not being used.

Peter