Subject: Re: sd3: not queued (using ccd) Do I have problems?
To: None <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Marshall Midden <m4@unet.umn.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/26/1996 09:19:02
Paul Kranenburg,  (Cc: port-sparc so other people can share my joy!)

Neat!  The fixes for "st" tapes are nice.  I wish it understood the
type of tape drive, but since I can read and write to it, does it matter?

Oh, I put in the

Are you ready for this:
  7	ELC
  1	sd1: CDC Wren 9 1897.8mb  (root, swap, usr, src)
  3	sd0: CDC Wren 6  662.6mb  (concatenated all but 1 cylinder)
  2	sd2: CDC Wren 6  662.6mb  (concatenated all but 1 cylinder)
  0	sd3: CDC Wren 6  662.6mb  (concatenated all but 1 cylinder)
  4	st0: 8200 exabyte tape (really old crap!)
  5	sd5: ST12550N   2138.0mb  (concatenated all but 1 cylinder)
  6	sd6: CDC Wren 8 1413.8mb  (concatenated all but 1 cylinder)
All external boxes, with lots of cables -- and it works!  I am totally amazed,
considering the problems with daizy chaining that I've had in the past!!!
(Oh, and at the end, a "force perfect terminator" -- $57.50)

I am loading bunches of stuff from 8mm exabyte to disk, then will swap
the tape drive with a sony 4mm dds2 dat and dump it.  I'll have to
swap tape drives several times -- it won't fit on one 120M dds2 tape, but who
cares!   I can actually do this easily, without having to do
"tar cf - -C /mnt files1* -C /mnt1 files2* ..." and all the mess associated
with this!  (And not to speak of the mess with loading it and having a
partition fill up, starting the reload up again, etc.)

Now if it were only possible to add partitions "on-the-fly" when one fills
up, add another [and of course, the program that fills it up must not die]!
(newfs -- *sigh*)

> I've never seen this happen, but then, I've also never run with six disks
> on one controller. You can try replacing the `8' at line 176 in espvar.h,
> where it says:
> 	struct ecb sc_ecb[8];
> with something more realistic.

I put in 24, since it might be wanted to stripe a small disk onto a large
drive several times.  (like on the 2138mb, put in 3 striped partitions --
the drive is a 5400rpm drive, it outta support it compared to those old
cdc wren 6's...).   It was working wonderfully!  I changed everything to
a simple concatenated instead of striped, so that I didn't lose so damn
many cylinders for the striping... .  It is neat to do a "ls -lg" and
watch all 6 disks light up at the same time, and of course since I am
triple buffering, the tape light is always flashing too!

Gosh this wipes sunos off the face of the earth!  (I am beaming!)

Oh, Feb 23rd sources.  -- since I've been noticing more changes since then.

What's the time verdict on 4m support?  Even having separate kernels
is better than nothing.  Probably next week I'll need to get a 4m
machine running ... and I'd rather not start a wierd cvs local thing
to put the other sparc stuff in.    Is there any way to get RCS/CVS to
use the RCS headers that are in the files, instead of making you
specify one and using that on "import"?  People say yes, but then can't
Find the RCS option when they start looking for it... .