Subject: And it said "le0: no carrier"
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Alan Perry <Alan.Perry@Eng.Sun.COM>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/23/1996 12:39:26
I am running NetBSD 1.1 on a SPARCclassic (sun4m).  I am encountering a
significant problem with accessing the network, though.  Everytime I try,
I get "le0: no carrier".

In the last 24 hours, I have run both SunOS 4.x and SunOS 5.x on it and
there was no problem in this area.  Similarly when I boot net or test net
from the OBP, everything is happy.

It has been suggested that someone (someone in software, that is) is not
selecting the right Ethernet connector.  The OBP thinks there is both an
AUI and a TP (10BaseT) plugs on the machine , but the machine really only
has the TP.  A test net on the OBP shows a happy TP and an unhappy AUI.

The help message in the OBP says that "the system" selects the correct
port, but does this mean the hardware/firmware or the OS software does
it?

Any ideas as to what is happening?

alan