Subject: Solaris emulation
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/19/1996 14:07:02
Has anybody setup some manpage or help file for Solaris emulation setup ?
I really can't get the thing to work:

I'm trying to get /usr/openwin/bin/xclock to work (not that I need it, but
it's just the program I picked up for my tests) and I always end up (after
adding files such as /emul/svr4/etc/netconfig or /emul/svr4/etc/nsswitch.conf)
with the problem of devices. For instance, if I put Solaris's libresolv.so.1
in /emul/svr4/usr/lib, xclock crashes when trying to open /dev/udp. Similarly
when I avoid this specific problem by putting NetBSD's libresolv there (which
surprisingly doesn't make the thing crash, but doesn't seem to work either since
xclock keeps on looking at NIS and then /etc/hosts for the IP address of the
display-host) xclock crashes later when trying to open /dev/tcp.

Any idea what the problem might be ? Should I try to mount somo Solaris's
/dev and /devices in /emul/svr4 ?

Or should I try to convince xlock to use NetBSD's X libraries (but these
are X11R6, whereas Solaris's are X11R5, there are likely to be
incompatibilities) ?

	Stefan