Subject: Re: State of the Universe (Was: Re: SPARCstation 1 and Archive Viper 150)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bert Driehuis <driehuis@playbeing.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/15/1996 16:08:23
>All of the above are solidly supported by SunOS 4.1.4.  I don't know how many
>of you folks are running with a SPARC box at home, but I absolutely,
>positively can't run an OS at home that I can't do reliable backups for (and
>reliable restores as well).

I usually make backups to my PC running BSD/OS 2.0.1 (for hysterical
reasons). My Tandberg TDC-3600 hasn't failed me once. In fact, when my SCSI
bus on the PC is screwy (it's been so lately), I move it to the NetBSD
Sparc and just backup my BSD/OS box to my Sparc.

>Last summer there were a few mumblings about netatalk, but I never heard
>anything more about that (netatalk builds very easily on SunOS, and I have
>no desire to deal with the 190-patches-and-climbing CAP).

This is silly. It took CAP ages to get to this patch level, and most
patches just add functionality or fix portability problems. Compare that to
a few other products, that _have_ releases. The CAP maintainers just chose
to not bother with releases, and do things as patches. CAP is easily
downladable in a pre-patched tar file, and even then: applying the patches
is a matter of minutes. CAP is stable as a rock (heck, GCC has more
releases than CAP has patch clusters). If you wanna gripe at CAP, gripe at
the baroque configuration scheme.

Oh well, I'd love to see netatalk as well, but don't forget that doing the
kernel part ain't easy (and SunOS is quite warped in some respects, so
taking the driver to NetBSD and build it isn't trivial -- I looked).

>(Wishing SCSI expert Matt Jacob hadn't been driven away from the project ... )

This seems to happen to all the projects. I hate it when this happens...

                                -- Bert Driehuis

------
Bert Driehuis                 God, grant me the serenity to accept the things
driehuis@playbeing.org        I can't change, courage to change the things I
                              can, and the wisdom to know the difference.