Subject: Re: new kernels being weird (and small..!?), files fading in and out.
To: Peter Svensson <petersv@df.lth.se>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/14/1996 18:59:26
On Tue, 13 Feb 1996, Peter Svensson wrote:

> > > chmod: /dev/tty[pqrs]*: No such file or directory
> >
> > I had the same problems while running a Sparc 4/75 with a mixture of SCSI-1
> > and SCSI-2 disks (booted from a SCSI-1). All theses problems went away when
> > I removed the SCSI-1 disks and used ONLY the SCSI-2 disk.
>
> We have had this problem cropping up at ireggular intervals after
> supping. Perhaps there is a misaligned structure somewhere? We have had
> this problem using one SCSI-1, mixed SCSI-1/SCSI-2 and one SCSI-2 disk.

how long ago did these problems start at your end?

for the record, I think both my SCSI devices are SCSI2, they are
certainly reported as such in the boot messages..

esp0 at sbus0 slot 0 offset 0x800000 pri 3: ESP100A 20Mhz, target 7
scsibus0 at esp0
esp0(0,0): MSGIN failed; trying alt selection
esp: resetting SCSI bus
esp0 targ 0 lun 0: <IBM, 0663L12, 1012> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0 at scsibus0: 1003MB, 4119 cyl, 5 head, 99 sec, 512 bytes/sec
esp0 targ 6 lun 0: <DEC, RRD43   (C) DEC, 0064> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
cd0 at scsibus0: cd present, 1209508 x 512 byte records

if it is some change that has caused this since the 1.1 release, can anybody
guess where it would likely be?  I still have the 1.1 sources available, so I
guess I could extract the relevant parts and try them instead of the -current
ones to see if it would work?

upon investigation, any changes to a filesystem causes the contents of
directories to start disappearing..  if I know what the files are called, I
can manipulate the files with no apparent ill-effects (I switched kernels
around and rebooted for example)

I think somebody also mentioned that the system would crash when the load
went up, I get this too if I try to login via xdm, but I haven't been able to
keep any records of what it said as the cause of the crash.

]ain