Subject: ELC and SCSI
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/13/1996 08:46:11
Hi all,

I've recently had the luck to obtain a Sun4/25 ELC Sparc machine. Given
the well known hassle of getting a Sun to learn to resolve hostnames, and
because my Sun3/60 already runs NetBSD, I wanted to install that on my
Sparc, too.

Alas, for some reason my ELC won't work with SCSI. I've read a few comments
on that from others here, but also know of people running it for 8 months
straight. So I'd like to know just where the SCSI-part of the port is at
right now.

Is it just bad luck of the draw, that my ELC has a SCSI-chip that needs
a workaround? Or is something strange with both the Maxtor 380M and Rodime
100M that NetBSD doesn't understand?

The errors are DMA-errors, SCSI-phase-errors, and FIFO-errors. Alas I do
not have the diskspace, nor experience, to be of much help in tracking down
this problem. But if you're interested, I can make logs of the console-
output with all the errors. Didn't want to flood the mailing-list with it
on my first posting, though. I could lift the mainboard from the Sparc, too,
to check the version-number on that Emulex-chip, too, if you'd be interested.

I've run NetBSD diskless from the Sun3/60-NetBSD-machine a few times, but
alas SCSI on the 3/60 won't do DMA very well, too, and is slow... The
rest of NetBSD seems to work fine on the Sparc, though, my compliments on that.

Have fun with the hacking, Paul.
 E=  /// Paul Boven <e.p.boven@student.utwente.nl> pe1nut@pi8daz.#twe.nld
    /// A2000HD, AmiTCP_4.0b and GG-II+ ethernet   QRV 145.575 MHz JO32KF
\\\/// "Run to  the bedroom,  in the suitcase on the  left   you'll  find
 \XX/ my  favourite axe"         One of my turns,   Pink Floyd,  The Wall