Subject: Re: new kernels being weird (and small..!?), files fading in and out.
To: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/12/1996 15:36:32
On Wed, 7 Feb 1996, Paul Kranenburg wrote:

> I suggest bringing all of the source files up-to-date, and try again.

ok, I have done this now..  I have installed the Feb 10 tarfiles, deleted
everything in /usr/src, unpacked the tarfiles..  I went to
/usr/src/share/mk and did a make install, I went to /usr/src/include and
did a make install, I went to /usr/src/usr.bin/tsort and made and
installed that, then I have made a kernel and booted from it (this is it,
running now..)

the size of the kernel seems normal, but there are still problems with
filenames disappearing at random.  I say filenames, because the files are
still there - it seems that ls just doesn't work - do I need to remake
something else first?

when booting, there are a few other errors reported..

savecore can't find device 7/1

which I can't reproduce once booted (it just says no core dump when I try it)

kvm_mkdb:/var/db/kvm_netbsd.tmp: Inappropriate file type or format

which I can reproduce, though I don't know why (and /var/db keeps
disappearing!)

chmod: /dev/tty[pqrs]*: No such file or directory

the command that produces this seems to work fine too, when I try it
after booting.. (just tried a MAKEDEV all, but all the files in /dev have
gone too..)

anybody got any ideas?  I can't see that it would be flakey hardware,
because I have had uptime of most of January (on my Dec 5th kernel) until I
tried upgrading the source code.

]ain