Subject: Re: HELP with IPX running NetBSD 1.1
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, tlobel@tamarugo.cec.uchile.cl>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/07/1996 14:01:22
>     my standalone IPX (no network). Problem is, whenever the OS reads or
>     writes to the stock SCSI disk (sd@3,0), ie a sun 424, it pulls ot a
>     strange error, either
>     empty FIFO of 1 dma0 : erroremty FIFO of 1 dma0 : error ..... etc

The `empty FIFO of xxx` message does not indicate abnormal operation, and
can be ignored. I'll deal with this shortly.

Any other `dma0: error ..' is more serious.

>      cpu0: cache chip bug; trap page uncached
>     Is this serious ?
>     Is my hardware fleaky ?

Some machines have a hardware bug that apparently causes malfunctioning when
the trap table page is allowed to be cached. I don't know the details.

So yes, the hardware is flaky but the kernel can work-around it by uncaching
the trap table.

-pk