Subject: new kernels being weird (and small..!?), files fading in and out.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/06/1996 18:59:33
Hi,
   I upgraded to 1.1 when it came out, and all was well, then I did a full
sup in december, and all was well there too..  since then though, I did a
full sup in early january but the kernel that I made was unreliable..

I just downloaded some of the last weeks tar files (sys, lib, libexec and
include) and I did a make install in include, then remade myself a kernel
with no errors.. strangely enough, the kernel that was produced was 200k
smaller than I've ever seen a sparc kernel before, running in at

-rwxr-xr-x  1 plunky  frogs  862998 Feb  4 23:36 netbsd*

has something changed in the last month that would have caused this?

then, after I was overjoyed for a short while at the small size of the
kernel, I booted from it and it seemed good at first, the MSGIN failed:
trying alt selection messages I used to get from the esp driver have
completely gone (good work, whoever fixed that!), but then I found that when
I started looking at the filesystem, directories would come and go at
random..  eg, went to /var/db and did a 'ls -al', there was nothing (not even
. and .. !), looked around elsewhere for a bit in a panic, and came back and
all the files had returned..

booting from my early december kernel all is well again.

can anybody indicate what might be a problem?  should I get the rest of
the source, and recompile something else before I make a kernel?

]ain