Subject: Re: scsi device configuration
To: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/1996 23:58:38
On Sat, 3 Feb 96 21:13:44 PST
 "Scott L. Burson" <gyro@zeta-soft.com> wrote:

 > Still, that's not exactly what I meant -- I meant one that statically maps sd0
 > -> 3, sd1 -> 1, sd2 -> 2, sd3 -> 0.
 >
 >    The sun4c's id. 3 -> sd0 swap is not so bizarre when you know the story.
 >
 > I figured there was some story like that behind it, but I still think it odd
 > because there is nothing whatever in SunOS that treats sd0 specially.  You can
 > boot off any drive you want -- my SS5 happens to boot off sd1.  All they had
 > to do was set the EEPROM to boot off sd3.
 >
 > Anyway, this is all somewhat tangential to the suggestion that the distributed
 > kernels should be set up with a fixed mapping.

...except which "default" mapping do you want to propose be fixed into
the kernel?  A fixed mapping for the sun4c is totally wrong for the sun4...

sun4c:
	sd0	id3
	sd1	id1
	sd2	id2
	sd3	id0

sun4:
	sd0	id0 lun0
	sd1	id0 lun1
	sd2	id1 lun0
	sd3	id1 lun1

..etc..

It gets even weirder ... some hp400 BOOTROMs expect:

	sd0	id6
	sd1	id5
	sd2	id4
	sd3	id3

There's another sticky problem with wiring down the scsi mappings...you
have to know about all scsi busses, etc.  I think it's neat that NetBSD
boots on a random machine and finds all of its drives, no matter where
they're located.

So, I don't really see the benefit in solving one or two specific cases
with wired down mappings for SCSI when the general case code works and
it's behavior is documented...

Ciao.