Subject: Re: scsi device configuration
To: None <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
From: Scott L. Burson <gyro@zeta-soft.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 02/03/1996 21:13:44
   Date: Sat, 03 Feb 1996 14:54:47 -0800
   From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>

   > I would add that there should be a distributed SPARC kernel that mimics
   > the sun4c's 3 <-> 0 swap (bizarre though it is).

   Uh ... there is.  Read the NetBSD/SPARC 1.1 INSTALL document:

   	To ease the installation process, the default NetBSD kernel in the
   	distribution is setup to match the Sun mapping above by hard-wiring
   	scsi-id#3 to sd0 and scsi-id#0 to sd3.  The remaining drives will be
   	dynamically mapped to other sd* numbers.

Oh.  Sorry.

Still, that's not exactly what I meant -- I meant one that statically maps sd0
-> 3, sd1 -> 1, sd2 -> 2, sd3 -> 0.

   The sun4c's id. 3 -> sd0 swap is not so bizarre when you know the story.

I figured there was some story like that behind it, but I still think it odd
because there is nothing whatever in SunOS that treats sd0 specially.  You can
boot off any drive you want -- my SS5 happens to boot off sd1.  All they had
to do was set the EEPROM to boot off sd3.

Anyway, this is all somewhat tangential to the suggestion that the distributed
kernels should be set up with a fixed mapping.

Cheers,
  Scott