Subject: X11R6 contrib for NetBSD/sparc v1.1 now available
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Rob Windsor <windsor@punk.hedgehog.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/29/1996 01:08:46
Heyyo,

I've hammered out some of the more popular X11R6 contrib things on
the Sparc 2 running NetBSD 1.1.  They can be reached at
pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/X11R6/contrib at your local mirror.  I have
-just- uploaded them, so you might have to wait until your mirror
site has finished the update.

Wherever possible, I grabbed the most current version of something
instead of using the standard (older) source that was in the contrib
tree (for example, xscreensaver 1.26 and xpm 3.4g).

-------
Many thanks to Bernd Ernesti for a handful of diffs that helped make
it go.
-------

I'll clean up my notes+diffs sometime soon and drop them into the
same dir.  Until then, they're available upon request.

If you want something that's not in here, I probably tried to compile
it but gave up due to <1> severely broken Imakefile, <2> broken C++
compiler, or <3> plain broken source.  (except for hterm, which just
liked to core)

Some items to note:

Everything is tarred up as ./X11R6/{bin,lib,man}, so if you want to
simply dump them into your X11R6 tree, do "cd /usr ; tar -xf /tmp/foo.tar.gz"
Do "tar ztvf foo.tar.gz" to peek at what it's going to do if you
untar it.

As far as I know, nothing requires setuid or setgid bits set.

Some items may want xpm shared libs, xpm is available in this wad
of files as well.

xcms has it's own rgb.txt and rgb.db files, I renamed them to xcms-rgb.txt
and xcms-rgb.db to keep them from stomping on the nieve user's original
files.  If you want to play with this, be sure to back up your
"working" rgb files.

xlbiff explodes into X11R6/foo as well as local/lib/mh/xlbiff.form.
You will probably want to untar this in /tmp and redistribute the .form
to match your mh setup.  (You -are- running mh, no?)

Even though I compiled everything possible, I don't know the
inside-and-out's of it all.  If something is misbehaving, I'll probably
just take your word for it and then take a look at it.  :>

If you have problems with something, please let me know so that I can pull
the broken tarball and try to fix things.

As always, you get the 20-foot guarantee (which happens to be the length
of the ethernet leg between my Sparc and the router).

-- Rob
Internet: windsor@pobox.com      Life: Rob@Sunnyvale.California.USA.Earth
"Da Web": http://pobox.com/~windsor/

"Ain't much distance 'tween a pat on the back and a kick in the pants."
    -- David Lee Roth (1990), `The Dogtown Shuffle'