Subject: Creating netbsd-sparc boot disk (fwd)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kerry Gray <kgray@netcom.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/24/1996 20:53:31
The local college where I work has acquired a number of Sun4c's, donated
by a federal agency.  As is customary with such donations, the disks have
all been wiped clean.  I would like to make use of these machines, and
netbsd seems a good way to do this.

What I would like to do is create a bootable netbsd root file system on
one of the external SCSI disks from another machine, viz., a PC running
netbsd.  Once I have this, I hope to use the external disk to install Net
BSD on the internal drives of the sparcs.  Can I do this?  Can I install a
sparc bootblock from a non-sparc machine using nothing more than disklabel?
Do I need to?  Will the boot ROM boot from any SCSI device I enter?  What
program do I boot?  netbsd?  netbsd.GENERIC?  /mdec/boot?