Subject: Problems with NetBSD/sparc 1.1, shared memory and SunOS compatibility
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, tech-kern@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/23/1996 18:12:45
	Hello fellow NetBSD users.  I just finished installing NetBSD/sparc
1.1 on an IPC workstation.  The purpose of this execercise is to take
advantage of the extra debugging capabilities of NetBSD to debug Ingres for
SunOS.  The particular piece of code in question takes advantage of shared
memory.  The problem I'm having, however, is that even when I define
options SYSVSEM, SYSVSHM, and SYSVMSG, in GENERIC, and recompile from
scratch, I get the following from the application when I run it.

   122 ktrace   RET   ktrace 0
   122 ktrace   CALL  execve(0xf7fffa93,0xf7fffa38,0xf7fffa48)
   122 ktrace   NAMI  "/usr/ingres/bin/lockctl"
   122 lockctl  EMUL  "sunos"
   122 lockctl  RET   execve 0
[cut out for brevity]
   122 lockctl  CALL  #169 (unimplemented semsys)(0x1,0x4a000002,0x42,0x780,0x18800)
   122 lockctl  RET   #169 (unimplemented semsys) -1 errno 22 Invalid argument
   122 lockctl  CALL  writev(0x2,0xf7fff900,0x4)
   122 lockctl  GIO   fd 2 wrote 40 bytes
       "lockctl init KN_shmat: Invalid argument
       "
   122 lockctl  RET   writev 40/0x28
   122 lockctl  CALL  close(0)
   122 lockctl  RET   close 0
   122 lockctl  CALL  close(0x1)
   122 lockctl  RET   close 0
   122 lockctl  CALL  close(0x2)
   122 lockctl  RET   close 0
   122 lockctl  CALL  close(0x3)
   122 lockctl  RET   close 0
   122 lockctl  CALL  exit(0x1)

	It looks like this function is served by compat_10(osemsys) in
/usr/src/sys/compat/common/compat_ipc_10.c
which is called from
/usr/src/sys/compat/sunos/syscalls.c
all of which  are surrounded by
#ifdef SYSVSEM
Which I have defined.

Can anyone shed some light on this mystery?
-thanks
-Brian