Subject: Re: Serial port issues on Sun4/260
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/1996 16:45:04
> Date: Wed, 17 Jan 96 13:52:01 PST
> From: greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com (James Graham - Systems Mangler)
> To: bwalker@musings.com (Brad Walker), greywolf@captech.com
> Subject: Re: Serial port issues on Sun4/260
> Cc: port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG, dgilbert@pci.on.ca
>

>  * I'm not ruling Bstreams out. But, getting documentation and reference
>  * code has been difficult. I've been sending mail to several different
>  * people and I keep hitting against a brick wall.
>
> Kirk McKusick?  Keith Bostic?  Mike Karels?  At least ONE of those people
> knows about Bstreams...

Yea, I'm sure they do. But, if they never return my e-mail then..

>  *
>  * What do you mean about disconnect being sluggish..
>
> Well, the STREAMS tty/pty driver is quite evident on Slowlaris (up to
> and including 2.4).  It always annoyed me that it sat there for up
> to a second after printing "Connection closed" at the end of a session
> before it gave me my prompt back.

Are you sure this is STREAMS or something else causing this..

> Connect thru STREAMS is also less than optimal.  Pushing all the required
> modules atop the STREAM head costs some time.  I may be overreacting to
> all this and should probably just shut up and accept it, but I can't get
> over how much faster it is connecting to/disconnecting from a
> non-STREAM-based interface.  This is most evident if you're frequently
> running things like r{sh,dist,cp} and the like, and I find it quite
> annoying.

I would tend to believe that what you are seeing are artifacts of other
things rather than STREAMS. And I'm not making excuses for Solaris. It's
just that I would tend to believe that you are seeing symptoms and not
what might be the real problem.

-brad w.