Subject: Re: Serial port issues on Sun4/260
To: Brad Walker <bwalker@musings.com>
From: James Graham - Systems Mangler <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/17/1996 13:52:01
#define AUTHOR "bwalker@musings.com (Brad Walker)"

/*
 * I'm not ruling Bstreams out. But, getting documentation and reference
 * code has been difficult. I've been sending mail to several different
 * people and I keep hitting against a brick wall.

Kirk McKusick?  Keith Bostic?  Mike Karels?  At least ONE of those people
knows about Bstreams...

[Chris (Torek), how about you?  Any ideas?]

 *
 * So I just decided to use what I know best and that is the AT&T STREAMS
 * model. I'm certainly open to other comments and opinions. Could you point
 * me into a direction with documentation about Bstreams..

See above.

 *
 * What do you mean about disconnect being sluggish..

Well, the STREAMS tty/pty driver is quite evident on Slowlaris (up to
and including 2.4).  It always annoyed me that it sat there for up
to a second after printing "Connection closed" at the end of a session
before it gave me my prompt back.

Connect thru STREAMS is also less than optimal.  Pushing all the required
modules atop the STREAM head costs some time.  I may be overreacting to
all this and should probably just shut up and accept it, but I can't get
over how much faster it is connecting to/disconnecting from a
non-STREAM-based interface.  This is most evident if you're frequently
running things like r{sh,dist,cp} and the like, and I find it quite
annoying.

Throwing faster hardware at slower software is NOT an option.

 *
 * -brad w.
 *
 */