Subject: getting started
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Stefan Monnier <stefan.monnier@lia.di.epfl.ch>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/09/1996 17:54:51
I'm trying to install NetBSD on a SparcStation 2 currently running Solaris 2.4
I've copied the snapshot found on ftp.ibp.fr:/NetBSD/... (dated Dec 3rd)
and put it on an external disk, but I can't get to boot from it.

Here is the situation: I have two internal 105M drives with scsi-id 1 and 3
where I have Solaris 2.4 (not complete, but largely sufficient to get into
single user and probably more if I try to configure the thing a bit more).
I also have an external 300M drive (scsi-id 0) with the NetBSD snapshot
freshly decompressed and detarred. This drive has a 260M slice 0 and a
50M slice 1, so I adjusted /etc/fstab by simply commenting out the entry
for the /usr filesystem, since I just want a single partition. Also
I've made the external disk bootable with

	installboot /usr/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0

Now when I boot with "boot disk3 netbsd", the screen goes black, the little
introductory message saying "Sparcstation blabla" appears, next to the little
colored SUN logo, then the boot command is printed (everything normal until
here) but then instead of displaying something like "NetBSD blabla" (well, I
haven't seen the message yet, so I have no idea how it looks like) it says:

	Boot load failed
	Illegal instruction

I've tried (just for fun) to put the external disk on scsi-id 2 (and even
bothered to reexec the installboot): same result.
I then (for some more fun) copied /netbsd to the internal root drive and
tried "boot netbsd": now it's almost the same except that after saying

	Boot load failed
	Illegal instruction

it asks for an alternate file name (instead of "netbsd") and retries (with
the same success until I give up and ask him to boot with ufsboot).

Does anybody have an idea what the problem is ?
(I fear this is due to NetBSD expecting a Solaris1.1 bootblock rather
than a Solaris2.4 bootblock).

Is there an archive of this mailing list ? (majordomo doesn't seem to know
about it)

	Stefan

PS: and what about the README.outdated (the only one available) which
talks about netbsd and netbds.scsi3 ? The current snapshot only has netbsd.
Is that a kernel corresponding to netbsd.scsi3 ?