Subject: Re: NetBSD/Sparc Sun4M alpha-test kernel available
To: None <abrown@eecs.harvard.edu>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/07/1996 01:42:14
> Over the past few months, I have been working on a port of
> NetBSD/sparc to the Sun4m-series SPARCstations with the support of
> Margo Seltzer at Harvard University. A preliminary release of this
> port is now available for alpha-testing. I'm putting out this release
> now to try to clean up support for the machines which I don't have
> access to for testing; I've only been able to test it on the SS20 I
> used for developing it. At this point, the port is stable on my SS20,
> but I don't know how well it will run on many of the other Sun4m
> platforms (SS4, SS5, SS10). It is known to work on the SPARCclassic.
> Thus if anyone tries out the kernel, I'd appreciate hearing about any
> problems they encounter (other than the known bugs listed in the
> README file). The kernel is compiled with DEBUG, DIAGNOSTIC, and DDB
> to help locate bugs.

FYI, I've been running this on an LX and it really works very well, I've
not really hammered the machine, yet :-) But it feels stable, runs X,
sendmail i'm compiling ps and the other kvm stuff at the moment, but it
looks good. Well done Aaron!

Regards,
Neil

--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net