Subject: Re: Clockhack details.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/1996 20:12:54
>>>>> "Jason" == Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov> writes:

Jason> On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:31:48 -0500 David Gilbert
Jason> <dgilbert@pci.on.ca> wrote:

>> Now that the test cycle for stopping the clock is shorter, I think
>> that my symptoms are due to serial activity (not netscape as
>> previously stated --- at least the two are related).  While the
>> matter seems exsaserbated now that I have 24M ram (as opposed to
>> 16), I believe that this is due to the fact that excessive swapping
>> kept serial performance down for the most part.

Jason> I haven't seen any problems with the clock on my 4/260.  I have
[...]
Jason> VM...), and I've been using the keyboard/mouse (obviously, but
Jason> that's actually serial activity) and ttya as the console for my
Jason> terminal server.  Granted, it's not a heavy use of the serial
Jason> port, but it is serial activity.

	It only happens with completely flooded serial activity.  I
don't believe that you would experience this with the mouse or
keyboard.  It happens at the times when necscape or ncftp say they're
getting 1.2-1.6 K/s over the connection.  Remember that the ppp
connection is the primary network connection for thise beast.  I have
seen it happen during sup transfers, too.

>> If nobody else experiences this, then I have a slight suspicion.  I
>> have increased my ZLRB_RING_SIZE to 4096 (and the other to 4095)
>> which gives me much greater serial performance.  I'm thinking that
>> somehow this isn't allocated correctly ... or ... there's some
>> interaction with this larger size and things around it.

Jason> Hmm ... I can't seem to find this constant...though, I remember
Jason> a discussion about it...

	This is set in sparc/dev/zsvar.h ... and used in zs.c

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |