Subject: Re: Clockhack details.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/1996 14:23:23
On Fri, 5 Jan 1996 14:31:48 -0500
 David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca> wrote:

 > 	Now that the test cycle for stopping the clock is shorter, I
 > think that my symptoms are due to serial activity (not netscape as
 > previously stated --- at least the two are related).  While the matter
 > seems exsaserbated now that I have 24M ram (as opposed to 16), I
 > believe that this is due to the fact that excessive swapping kept
 > serial performance down for the most part.

I haven't seen any problems with the clock on my 4/260.  I have been
using Netscape 2.0b4 (without the "hanging" problems described by Greg,
excelt when I use Java, and it then seems to be related to the fact that
it consumes vast quantites of VM...), and I've been using the
keyboard/mouse (obviously, but that's actually serial activity) and ttya
as the console for my terminal server.  Granted, it's not a heavy use of
the serial port, but it is serial activity.

 > 	If nobody else experiences this, then I have a slight
 > suspicion.  I have increased my ZLRB_RING_SIZE to 4096 (and the other
 > to 4095) which gives me much greater serial performance.  I'm thinking
 > that somehow this isn't allocated correctly ... or ... there's some
 > interaction with this larger size and things around it.

Hmm ... I can't seem to find this constant...though, I remember a
discussion about it...

 > 	So... who else has a 4/260 to help track this down?

Well, I'll do that I can, but darn if this doesn't sound bloody weird :-)