Subject: Re: Netscape
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@demon.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 01/05/1996 15:29:18

> Neil asked me:
> > What's the latest story with Netscape under NetBSD/sparc?
>
> Netscape 2.0beta4 comes up and runs under NetBSD/SPARC (1.0 at least; I never
> got my chance to upgrade over the Holidays  :-( ).  Kipp @ Netscape changed
> the mmap() calls so that it no longer croaks on the VM sun4c hole.  (Yay!)

Cool.

> There are three Known Problems that I am aware of, which cause it to "hang",
> where "hang" is defined as "The program keeps running and handles SIGALRMs,
> but the window is never updated, and doesn't respond to anything".  (e.g., if
> you iconify it and de-iconify it, the whole window comes up blank grey and
> it never redraws to handle the Expose events.)

<SNIP>

Are Netscape going to help us solve these problems? Even if they could
compile Netscape native for NetBSD/sparc it would be a boost.

> Anyway, that's the present scoop.  Someday I'll get up to 1.1 or -current (w/
> Paul's later VM mods) and try it again.  Maybe I'll try one of the Solaris
> binaries under COMPAT_SOLARIS just for grins  :-)

I couldn't get the COMPAT_SOLARIS to run netscape for solaris at  all.

Regards,
Neil.
--
Neil J. McRae.                                            Demon Internet
neil@demon.net