Subject: Re: install.sh question...
To: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
From: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/30/1995 15:40:52
On Sat, 30 Dec 1995, der Mouse wrote:

> Now, it's possible the machine in question has a disk that has an
> old-paradigm first-level boot on it which have never been replaced.

	I think this "thread" is still based on my original problems.  I
have a SUN0207 drive which was formatted clean when I received it.  There
was nothing on this disk (or so I thought) when I got it.  At any rate, I
have to use "newfs -O" on my Sparc (4/110, SUN4) in order for the system
to boot properly.

> to be part of the PROM boot sequence.  I suppose it's also possible
> that the PROMs truly do care about the filesystem, but that seems
> unlikely.

	That's what I thought was the problem, but now that you've
explained it, it doesn't seem to make sense.

> It's also possible that the disk somehow managed to acquire a native
> NetBSD disklabel instead of a SunOS disklabel; the PROMs will get upset
> if they don't see a disklabel at least minimally compatible with SunOS.

	I did create the disklabel with NetBSD, so that, too, could've
been the problem.

	Anyway, things are working properly now that I did use the "-O"
option on 'newfs', so I can't complain.

Mike.

     Mike Frisch                    Internet: mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org
     Northstar Technologies		       Compuserve: 76620,2534
     Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA       WWW: http://www.io.org/~mfrisch