Subject: __STDC__ errors compiling "current" (/usr/src/lib/libc/gen/err.c)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Marshall Midden <m4@unet.umn.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/29/1995 11:59:34
I installed the snapshot from sup.netbsd.org (every other try works),
/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot, dated Dec 3.

When trying to get X to work (dated Sep 16), it complains about not able to
find a usable termcap entry.  I reinstalled the share files.  No help.

Then decided to compile the current sources.  Problems.  Did "make build", then
"make -i" to at least get as much compiled as possible.

I thought the problem was the "-Werror" in the bsd.sys.mk file due to
"too many arguments to function `__builtin_next_arg'".  This appears in many
files around the "varargs.h" use.

The simplest is libc/gen/err.c, and "setenv CFLAGS -U__STDC__" got that and
many others to compile.  (NOTE: upon checking the arch/*/include/varargs.h
files, they are all essentially the same -- thank goodness!)  The problem
then is that it appears that there are several files that have their
non-__STDC__ definitions unable to compile.  *sigh*.

Ok, what do I do?  I checked the NetBSD-1.1 sources, and they appear
essentially the same.  Has there been a gcc change that is causing this?
I dunno -- HELP!

Marshall M. Midden			m4@umn.edu
University Networking Services		Voice: +1 612 625 1335
130 Lind Hall				FAX: +1 612 626 1002
207 Church Street S.E.
University of Minnesota
Minneapolis, Mn  55455-0134