Subject: Re: install.sh question...
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/27/1995 21:56:27
On Wed, 27 Dec 1995 23:46:53 -0500 (EST)
 Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org> wrote:

 > 	Well, I'm afraid that it does make a difference (at least on my
 > 4/110 w/ROM revision 2.81).  For the past month and a half, I was not
 > aware that "newfs" was creating a filesystem which could not be read by
 > the PROM monitor and was pulling out my hair trying to solve the problem.
 > After re-reading "INSTALLATION NOTES for NetBSD/sparc 1.1", I found the
 > section which reads:

Hmm ... I have PROM rev 3.something, but even my old sun3 PROMs work
properly...weird.

[ quote ]

That mostly applied to those still using SunOS boot code.

 > 	I'm not the only one who discovered that the PROM monitor can't
 > read the default filesystem of NetBSD.

That is _really_ strange ... hmmm....

 > 	Either your PROM is "smarter" than mine or something is strange
 > (ie. the filesystem was created in SunOS originally).

Maybe ... try using "fsck -c2" on the root filesystem while in
single-user and see if it comes up.  This converts an "old" to "new" format.

Mine was always a NetBSD fs from the get-go...

 > 	I wish I had higher priorities (like fixing the SCSI code for
 > SUN4), but my abilities limit this.  Something like a fancy install
 > program would be within my bounds :-)

Heh ... cool.  Well, I have the SCSI code pretty much fixed-up, but it's
not in the tree yet.  PK changed the DVMA interface a little, and I have
to adjust my code a bit to deal with it.