Subject: Re: install.sh question...
To: Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/27/1995 15:33:22
On Wed, 27 Dec 1995 16:07:48 -0500 (EST)
 Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org> wrote:

 > 	I am curious to know why the "install.sh" shell script does not
 > use the "-O" parameter with 'newfs'?  This ended up being the cause of my
 > annoying HD booting problems as the PROM monitor didn't know how to handle
 > the rsd?a partition using the default filesystem of NetBSD/sparc.  Is
 > this something that should be fixed?

The PROM shouldn't care much about the filesystem type.  All it does is
find the end of the superblock of the rootfs, and load the primary
bootstrap from there.  The primary bootstrap _does_ care about the rootfs
type.  NetBSD's boot code can handle both.

I'm using new-style filesystems on my Sun 4/260 without a hitch.

 > 	Also, is anybody working on a menuing system which makes
 > install.sh a little more powerful (ala FreeBSD, Linux, and others)?  Once
 > I get my system up and running, I'd definitely consider it.

When I wrote install.sh, I needed something what was leaps-and-bounds
better than what we had (it's a fair bit better than the i386
counterpart, IMO, and previously, the hp300 had _nothting_.)  Note the
"perfect world" comment at the top.  I personally have higher priorities
than re-writing the install program to have menus, etc.  If someone else
wants to take it on, by all means, have at it!  ;-)