Subject: Re: Uninterruptible wait lockup.
To: None <Chris_G_Demetriou@NIAGARA.NECTAR.CS.CMU.EDU>
From: Peter Galbavy <peter@wonderland.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/25/1995 01:11:34
> > Everything I've seen leads me to believe that paging and/or swapping
> > over NFS simply does not work.  When I made /usr/src an NFS mount and
> > started doing "make build"s, I saw things crashing and hanging right
> > and left - I eventually had to go back to ufs-mounted /usr/src (this
> > was before ufs->ffs).
>
> If this is a problem on the sparc, it's certainly not a problem on (at
> least some) other ports.  I _only_ use NFS-mounted /usr/src trees on
> my alphas, and i've seen few problems with it.

I think that the point trying ot be made here was one of swapping
over NFS and mounting /usr/src and doing a make build may only be
to exercise the memory/swapping stuff. I may of course be wrong -
I just got back from the pub after a christmas eve drink until
midnight - hic :)

Merry Christmas all,
--
Peter Galbavy                                           peter@wonderland.org