Subject: Re: Uninterruptible wait lockup.
To: None <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org>
From: None <dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/24/1995 12:13:11
>>>>> "Mike" == Mike Frisch <mfrisch@saturn.tlug.org> writes:

Mike> 	I've had the same thing happen here MANY times.  I attributed
Mike> it to net booting and was hoping the problem would go away.  For
Mike> some reason, it seems to happen most when I'm compiling
Mike> something very large (could be swap related in this instance).

	If you're net booting, then your swapping is over the net too.
I've found that 'funny things' (tm) happen if I really strenuously
excercise the VM of the system.  For instance, if I compile when I'm
not using the machine, then I don't experience any problems.  However,
if I'm online and doing stuff (netscape, emacs, lotsa xterms, ncftp),
then it doesn't take to long.

	My system config is 16 megs of RAM and 4x ~20Mb swap.  Things
typically happen as about 30-50% of my swap is used.

Dave.

|David Gilbert, PCI, Inc., Richmond Hill      | Two things can only be     |
|Mail:dgilbert@jaywon.pci.on.ca               |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |