Subject: Re: Uninterruptible wait lockup.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Collatz.McRCIM.McGill.EDU>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/24/1995 06:56:51
>> I have several times recently had processes lock up in
>> uninterruptible disk waits (that's the best I can make of it from
>> the ps man page).  This may be due to this new NCR SCSI stuff of
>> Jason's or it may be something else entirely.  Any ideas?
> I've had the same thing happen here MANY times.  I attributed it to
> net booting and was hoping the problem would go away.  For some
> reason, it seems to happen most when I'm compiling something very
> large (could be swap related in this instance).

Everything I've seen leads me to believe that paging and/or swapping
over NFS simply does not work.  When I made /usr/src an NFS mount and
started doing "make build"s, I saw things crashing and hanging right
and left - I eventually had to go back to ufs-mounted /usr/src (this
was before ufs->ffs).

Looking into this is something I hope to get around to, but don't hold
yer breath. :-/

					der Mouse

			    mouse@collatz.mcrcim.mcgill.edu