Subject: Re: Disk w/o geometry label.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/17/1995 09:33:21
On Sun, 17 Dec 1995 11:13:46 -0500
 David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca> wrote:

 > 	Well... in case anyone knows what it should be, when I boot,
 > it tells me that they are `IBM, 0661467, G l' and `IBM, 0661467, G'  I
 > managed to write 782600 blocks with dd to them.  I have to decide now
 > on what geometry to assign to them.

Dave ...

Can you please e-mail me the output of dmesg?  I'm interested in what
sort of diagnostic messages might be present.  Also, are they SCSI-I or
SCSI-II?

The MI SCSI code uses "MODE_SENSE page 4" (rigid geometry) to get that
information.  I believe we're using the 6-byte version of this command
described by the SCSI-I standard.  I was reading though the SCSI-II draft
yesterday (for other reasons) and noticed that there are 10- and 12-byte
versions of this command now, as well (the motivation behind this isn't
crystal-clear to me, but whatever).

The MODE_SENSE command is not listed as "mandatory" in the draft, but
rather "device dependent" (I think .. double-check today).  It's entirely
possible that this drive abuses this "feature", or has buggy firmware.
(Ask me about IBM drives and buggy firmware sometime :-)