Subject: Re: Archive viper config.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: Per Fogelstrom <pefo@enea.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/16/1995 19:36:07

> 	OK.  I'm positive that the Archive Viper in question is at
> SCSI ID 4 and is out of the way of the other IDs on the bus (0, 1, and
> 2) ... "st? at scsibus? target ? lun ?" (or something very close) is
> in my config file.
>
> 	The tape is still not being recognised.  There are 9 jumpers
> on the unit.  3 are the obvious id0 id1 and id2.  There are three more
> labelled cf0 cf1 and cf2.  What are these for, and how should I set
> them?  In the SGI 4D/35 that the unit came from, cf0 and cf2 were
> jumpered and cf1 was not.
>
> 	What can I enable or do to diagnose this problem further?

Vipers can't do autodetection. You have to create different devices
for different densitys. Minor number 8 = 120Mb, 4 = 150Mb and
12 = QIC-24 (60Mb). At least this is the only way it works for me,
and since it do i haven't bothered to find out why minor 0 doesn't.
If you have a 2525 (525Mb) it uses  ST_Q_SENSE_HELP quirq but it
might not work.

The cfg0-2 switches is for setting the disconnect size, eg the maximum
size transfered before disconnect to allow other scsi devices to
acces the bus. Jumper in sets bit to 1.

	0 = 2kb
	1 = 4kb
	2 = 6kb
	3 = 8kb
	4 = 12kb
	5 = 16kb
	6 = 24kb
	7 = 32kb

I'm using my viper at id 4 and disconnect size 16k. Works perfectly.