Subject: Re: Booting IPX diskless not too good...
To: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
From: Paul Kranenburg <pk@cs.few.eur.nl>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/15/1995 22:25:59
> > i've seen these hangs when i booted a kernel compiled with -g over
> > the net.  when i strip -d'ed the kernel, it booted fine.
>
> I strip -d'd the kernel and it booted no problem at all.

A kernel with debugging symbols may be simply to large to load into the
memory available at that stage. I think the PROM just maps the first
bank of physical memory, which may be just 4MB or so depending on the
actual population of simm slots.

If this is the case, I would expect the hang not to occur until the bulky
symbol section gets loaded though..

I'll put some code into the boot program to test for giant kernels.

-pk