Subject: Re: Booting IPX diskless not too good...
To: matthew green <mrg@mame.mu.OZ.AU>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@frodo.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/15/1995 14:25:47
Thanks to everyone who had suggestions on net booting my IPX...

The following from mrg was the winner.
> i've seen these hangs when i booted a kernel compiled with -g over
> the net.  when i strip -d'ed the kernel, it booted fine.

I strip -d'd the kernel and it booted no problem at all.

Once past that, the whole installation process was _totally_
painless...

Thanks Jason, and everyone else...

Actually, the one thing that did occur to me is that it would be cool
if the extraction phase, got you to tag or otherwise indicate which
tar files to extract - then let the user go grab a cup of coffee while
it all happens.  Mind you it didn't take that long, but the user does
not know that up front.

Anyway, as I said, all went very smoothly once we got booted.

--sjg