Subject: Re: Disk w/o geometry label.
To: David Gilbert <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/12/1995 08:15:16
> 	Here's a question... how do I deal with a disk w/o geometry?
> I have a SCSI disk made by IBM that won't respond to the driver's
> geometry request.  I would suppose that I have to figure it out... and
> then somehow communicate this in the disk label?  Some hints would be
> nice.  I don't think that it will be too great a problem to find info
> on the true (or close to true) nature of the disk.

The actual geometry of a SCSI disk is irrelevant.  You need only come up with
something having same or fewer blocks.

One way might be to write an absurdly big label (e.g. 4GB disk), then dd to
the disk and write down the block offset when the writes fail due to being
beyond end of medium.  Then figure the label from that.

BTW, if this IBM disk is so nonstandard as to not respond to the geometry
command, don't expect it to work right on NetBSD.