Subject: configuring the floppy device on SS1 (clone)
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Iain Hibbert <plunky@skate.demon.co.uk>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/05/1995 21:03:08
Hi
  I have a SS1 clone (Opus blah..) and with NetBSD-1.1, I can't get the
floppy drive to do anything..

cpu0 at mainbus0: Opus 4/60 (MB86900/1A or L64801 @ 20 MHz, WTL3170/2 FPU)

[...]

fdc0 at mainbus0 ioaddr 0xf7200000 pri 11, softpri 4: chip 82077

which I understand to be the floppy controller being recognised at least..
but any action I try and do with the drive though results in it saying
that its not configured, grrr..

plunky@skate % eject floppy
eject: open /dev/fd0a: Device not configured

is there something else I need to do?  I must admit, I'm not too
understanding of the difference between fdc0 and fd0 - I have this in my
kernel config file:

fdc0    at mainbus0
fd*     at fdc0

should there be another line in my dmesg output, saying that it has found
the fd0 device?  the floppy drive used to work fine under SunOS but I have
deleted it all by now so can't check it again.

while I'm here, is it likely that having devices configured in the config
file makes any difference to the performance of the machine if the devices
are not actually present?  I've been through and deleted all the obio, vmes
and vmel related devices from the original GENERIC config I started with
since they don't apply here I don't think, and it looks less confused now.

what else was there.. oh yes, much kudos to all those who worked on the
1.1 release, my upgrade went like a breeze, so I send you all a big wet
sloppy kiss (or rather, my dog would, if I had a dog.. :-)

]ain