Subject: Re: Status of st support?
To: None <greywolf@captech.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/04/1995 17:52:48
On Mon, 4 Dec 95 15:20:06 PST
 jgraham@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com (Trouble Free RecepPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF) wrote:

 > Well, I have an Archive Python (4mm) tape drive to which an "mt st" responds
 > "mt: st: unknown drive type 7" and I get no registers.  I seem to remember
 > things in the st driver being incomplete.

The MI st driver is missing a few things.  There are PRs pending for a
few of them.  I guess someone should look into those PRs again.

 > The other thing that tips me off is that any attempts to access the drive
 > results in esp(0,4,0):  SBUS reset
 >
 > ... or something like that.

Looks like the esp driver didn't like what it got back from the tape.
Paul's made some significant improvements to the esp driver in post-1.1.
I'm using it on my lab full of SS1s.  My tape drives and CD-ROM drives
seems to work OK.

The esp-related issues definitely won't affect David :-)  Sorry, Dave,
I've been really swamped trying to get some progress made on fixing an
hp300 bug or two and the eventual switch to new config over there.  Later
this week, I'll be able to hack on the ncr_si driver some more.  I want
to solve my ie DMA underrun problems :-)