Subject: Re: command to examine the system memory image
To: Robert L. Brown <rbrown@zambia.jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Gaurav Banga <gaurav@cs.rice.edu>
List: port-sparc
Date: 12/01/1995 21:11:53

> Is there a command in NetBSD 1.0 to examine the system memory image
> of a running or a crashed system? I looked for the "crash" and "adb"
> command, but didn't find it on the system. Does anybody have it built
> on their system? If so, can I get a copy?

I believe the kcore target in gdb allows you to do just this. I have never
tried it on a running kernel though.

Since kcore does not yet work for NetBSD-alpha, I wrote a rudimentary target
for gdb that allows me to just examine the running kernel through /dev/kmem.
It uses the debugging/type information in whatever kernel you specify. It
does not let you look at core dumps though. If you want it just lemme know
but maybe kcore will fill your needs.

--Gaurav

--
#ifndef Gaurav__Banga