Subject: CE --- correctable memory error fixed.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <dgilbert@pci.on.ca>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/25/1995 20:39:05
	With some patches that Chuck has developed, I have managed to
locate the chip which was giving me the CE (Correctable) memory error.
While his patches don't actually allow the system to run with the
error yet, they will give enough info to track the problem to the chip
level.

	I should mention that this is (in general) for VME Sun systems
with ECC memory.  It should be possible to software correct this
error, but he hasn't found a way.

	I just wanted to say to the group that I bought the bullet and
pulled the chip, soldered a new socket, and got a replacement chip.
You have to understand that being a software jockey, this is somewhat
of a momentus occaision... something like a psychologist figuring out
and performing open heart surgery.

	Anyways... even though I though that I botched it several
times, it worked.  The card is back in the machine (I don't want to
see it again!) and working happily --- no CE light.  Now maybe I can
get the world built w/o errors?

	So... if you're facing the same situation... there is hope in
NetBSD.

Dave.

|Mail:      dgilbert@pci.on.ca                |  equal if and only if they |
|http://www.pci.on.ca/~dgilbert               |   are precisely opposite.  |