Subject: ufs: Operation not supported
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Shyeah right. What am I gonna do with a gun rack? <greywolf@defender.VAS.viewlogic.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/21/1995 17:56:26
I'm trying to convert a SunOS box into a NetBSD box.  It's a SS2 with
two internal disks, both of which NetBSD finds just fine.  No biggie.

Unfortunately, I cannot mount any of the partitions!  All partitions
were created under SunOS, and I don't want to fsck -c2 the root partition
until I can get the NetBSD bootblocks installed and that's a long way off.

All attempts to mount the disk result in

        ufs: /dev/sd0g: Operation not supported by device

(that's /usr).

I newfs'd /usr (since it wasn't populated anyway), and it came back with

        ioctl (WDINFO):  Invalid argument

And "disklabel" does the same thing.

I also can't remount the root filesystem because root_device and /dev/sd0a
don't match, and I can't convince mount that it really needs to remount
root read-write.  It comes back

	ffs: /dev/sd0a on /: specified device does not match mounted device

I'm using the snapshot kernel found at

	ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/snapshot/netbsd

Can someone send me some pointers?  The README and the INSTALL documents
both appear to be grossly out of date.

				--*greywolf;
--
Woof...