Subject: Re: netbsd 1.1 install question
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg Earle <earle@isolar.Tujunga.CA.US>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/16/1995 04:39:03
>> First, you must setup a diskless client configuration on a server. Consult
>> your server installation documents on how to proceed with this.
>>
>> Huh? I have no idea what this means. I don't even know what type of
>> server this is referring to. (NFS?) Can someone please point me in the
>> right direction? I have no experience with sparcs at all, and I'm trying
>> to get a couple of SS1's we just bought running something, anything...
>
> It means you must arrange for a machine on your network to act as a
> `bootserver' for your machine. This involves setting up a directory
> that is to be remotely mounted (with NFS) as the root filesystem on
> your `diskless client'.

Is there anything to prevent a "normal"/"traditional" install?

e.g.,
(0) Get NetBSD/SPARC gzipped tarballs, un-gzip 'em into .tar files, then
    put them onto a tape, one after the next starting with base and etc (and
    the GENERIC kernel)
(1) Boot from local SunOS CD-ROM
(2) Format/partition/label disks
(3) Load SunOS miniroot into newly partitioned swap partition
(4) newfs planned NetBSD root from SunOS miniroot
(5) mount freshly-made root partition, then use "tar" to extract the kernel,
    base and etc (only) into the root
(6) Use the SunOS miniroot "installboot" to do the "installboot" honors
(7) Reboot into minimal NetBSD root partition configuration and newfs the
    remaining partitions as NetBSD/4.4 partitions
(8) Unbundle the remaining tar balls, either from tape or suck them across
    over the net

The most obvious thing I can see here is that you end up with an old 4.2/SunOS
root partition and boot blocks, which I know we're trying to get away from
(but damn, the thought of disaster recovery if you can't just whip out a
SunOS CD-ROM and boot from it and mount the "real" root onto /a, etc. gives me
the willies  (-:   Oh, for a bootable NetBSD/SPARC 1.1 CD-ROM with the NetBSD
bootblocks and "installboot" in the future ...).

	- Greg