Subject: Re: Changing serial parameters.
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@SJ.Xenotropic.COM>
From: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/16/1995 07:54:01
>  > My 68030 based Amiga manages to run 19200 w/o any loss without even
>  > the help of a fifo on the serial port.  Why is the Sun4 (about 2 times
>  > faster) having problems?
>
> Actually, I've always been under the impression that Amiga's had Really
> Buff serial ports in general...Also might be a side-effect of the way
> interrupts are handled.
>
> And, really, a 4/260 is twice as fast as an Amiga?!  :-)

The Amiga has probably the cruddiest UART that can still actually be called
a UART.

No FIFO.  No true RTS/CTS flow control.  (By true, I mean that the UART
controls the lines in response to FIFO full/empty conditions).

But seriously, how much faster is my Sun4-100 expected to be over my 16-MHz
Amiga 3000?