Subject: Re: install.sh fails for 1.1 alpha
To: None <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/09/1995 15:54:40

> On Wed, 8 Nov 1995 20:24:24 -0500 (EST)
>  Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com> wrote:
>
>  > During the "Making devices...", I get:
>  > chgrp: kmem: illegal group name  (3 times)
>  > chgrp: bin: illegal group name   (once)
>  > chgrp: operator: illegal group name  (many times)
>  > chown: wheel: illegal group name  (many times)
>  > chown: operator: illegal group name  (many times)
>  > chown: kmem: illegal group name  (once)
>
> Looks like /etc/group is missing in the miniroot, or whatever the SPARC uses.

I figured that too.  I guess my ultimate point was that the install script
really requires that it be run by people like us that have been installing
unix systems since 4BSD started.

>  > Also, this script is very confusing.  In the section where one defines the
>  > root partition/disk, it doesn't mention that if you are using a /usr that
>  > you should edit the fstab and add it (luckily, I guessed right).  The
>  > network config section asks for an IP address and "Symbolic name?".  I
>  > think hostname is much better than "Symbolic name".  The /etc/hosts
>  > ends up with IP symbolicname symbolicname.domainname.
>
> Um, actually, in at least the hp300 version that Paul based the SPARC
> version on, you are promted for additional filesystems.  The script
> displays a message like:

Again, I think that merely adding the verbage "like /usr" would go
a log way to make it clearer.  I wasn't sure whether I should add /usr
during this step or maybe somewhere later in the install process.

> As for "Symbolic name", I chose that term because, quite frankly, on
> systems with more than one network interface (like one I tested it on for
> the hp300), the name of the network interface does not necessarily match
> the hostname for the machine.  Really, you are mapping a symbolic name to
> the IP address assigned to that interface, hence the term.

To me, "Symbolic name" looked more like "alias" rather than "hostname for
this interface".

I apologise if my comments seem rough, I'd just like to see the
installation process be easier for the masses so that NetBSD will
be more widely accepted.

robin