Subject: Re: netbsd 1.1-ALPHA mounting problem.
To: None <port-sparc@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mats O Jansson <maja@celsiustech.se>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/08/1995 22:47:01
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, the Riz wrote:

> I am attempting to install the 1.1-ALPHA snapshot on a machine here at work
> to do some testing on, and the machine comes up OK in single-user mode, but
> it won't let me mount any of the other partitions.  The root partition was
> newfs'ed under SunOS, the /usr and /var under netbsd.  This is a
> straight-from-the-box install from ftp.netbsd.org, and when I try to mount
> anything, even a freshly-newfs'ed partition, I get stuff like this:
>
> # mount /var
> ffs: /dev/sd0h on /var: Operation not supported by device

I get the same message in NetBSD/VAX when trying to mount /usr at boot.
This is with the mid september snapshot. A new kernel, init, mount,
mount_ffs, mount_nfs and mountd from 951104 sources.

> here's var's fstab entry:
> /dev/sd0h /var ffs rw 1 3

In my case
/dev/ra0e /usr ffs rw 1 2

> and I just re-newfs'ed it.  The kernel is the one from
> ftp.netbsd.org:/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.1-ALPHA/sparc/install .
>
> What have I done wrong?  This is a Sparc 2, 16MB, with a Seagate ST31200N
> disk (1G).
In my case a microVAX II, 9MB, two KDA50, each with four SI511 (1.1Gb?).
I just need a kernel with NFS Server support (the snapshot is missing it).

> Any ideas?
>
> thanks in advance.
> +j

-moj

Mats O Jansson, CelsiusTech Systems, Jaerfaella, Sweden
email: maja@celsiustech.se (or moj@stacken.kth.se)