Subject: Re: Best way to load up NetBSD on 4/100
To: David Jones <dej@achilles.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/05/1995 19:15:49
On Sun, 5 Nov 1995 20:19:59 -0500 (EST)
 dej@achilles.net (David Jones) wrote:

 > - you may assume an Amiga and another Sun3 available for netbooting or
 >   NFS mounting

Well, you could just netboot, re-disklabel the disk, newfs the
partitions, populate them, and then boot from disk.

 > - Remember, I don't have access to SunOS /boot (well, I could snarf
 >   /boot, but the whole SunOS is not practical)

NetBSD/sparc has a native boot program that does network and disk booting.

 > Also, any docs on the sw DMA hardware?  I want to get the si working
 > on the Sun4 architecture, and if I have docs, the sw as well.
 > Using the new Sun3 5380 driver of course...

I'd imagine that it's really similar to the 3/50 DMA controller, though
it has a slightly different register layout.

I'm certainly willing to help test a DMA-savvy `si'...I have a 4/260, and
was going to look at porting it myself sometime after 1.1.