To: Steve Farrell <spfarrel@midway.uchicago.edu>
From: Neil J. McRae <neil@domino.org>
List: port-sparc
Date: 11/01/1995 22:03:35
> well, here is the usage of my sparc:
>
> it netboots two sun3's to use as X terminals.  there is no console (except
> my terminal which i bring from home AS RARELY as POSSIBLE).  it is
> also used by me and others occasionally using eXodus,etc.  it supports
> up to three X users, and at most 4 or 5 total (usually 0-2 ppl).  it
> is for fun - but it is extremely important for me to get work done
> so down-time is FROWNED upon.  it is a lowly sparc 1, filled with
> 1mb simms, so i can't add more (16), even if i wanted to.  if netbsd
> had a smaller memory footprint, that would be a plus.

Not sure about the network booting, but the rest of the stuff NetBSD
would be great for. I've copied this to the port-sparc mailing list
to check if anyone has tried this?

> what is this sparcup thing you mentioned?

An upgrade chip for certain sun4c class machines.

> i am an ex-linux person - so i like playing with os's.  i got out
> of linux b/c i was very tired of shitty pc hardware.  for ost
> tasks, the 13 mips sparc 1 is faster than the 33 mips 486, except
> for those where the extra juice in the processor is really noticeable -
> but not the daily network stuff of supporting X terminals.

I agree, X under s Sun machine is much better than on Intel platforms.

If you like to play with unix then NetBSD is the choice to make, I'll leave
it for others to comment, Bewre though, the learning curve is high at stages.

Neil.
--
--  neil@domino.org                     Domino: In the glow of the night.  --
--  Free your computer and your <a href="http://www.NetBSD.ORG/">mind</a>  --