Subject: Re: number eeprom writes.
To: Dylan D Zehr <ddzehr@telecom.ksu.edu>
From: Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@gaia.coppe.ufrj.br>
List: port-sparc
Date: 10/10/1995 16:43:00
> David Gilbert writes:
>
> >	As I'm trying to get everything going on my old sun4/260, I
> >have had to change my configurating using eeprom several times.  Once,
> >when reading the manual I spotted a little note that the eeprom could
> >only be written to a certain number of times.  Does anyone have any
> >idea what this number is?  Also, if this number is exhausted, can the
> >chip be ordered to replace it?
>
> I dont know which particular eeprom is in the sun4/260, but generally
> electrically erasable devices have a lifetime of around 10,000 writes.
>
> For pratical purposes you wont ever have to worry about it, but it
> is possible for it to fail if you really work hard at it.

AFAIK, the Sparc Station 2 does not use EEPROMs, it uses NVRAM,
a piece of CMOS RAM with an embedded battery.  This way, there's
no pratical limit of rewrites.  Maybe, there's a limit in the
battery life, but that's another history...

					Jonny

--
Joao Carlos Mendes Luis			jonny@coe.ufrj.br
+55 21 290-4698 ( Job )			jonny@adc.coppe.ufrj.br